From restaurant menus to business cards, the professional world is seeing a surge in using QR code for business purposes. It wasn’t that long ago (yes, pre-pandemic) that QR codes were considered out of date. But now that we’re all more used to transfering information via our phones, they’re back to being on trend. Interested in how you can leverage them? Here’s what you need to know about using QR codes.
What are QR Codes?
Masahiro Hara, a Japanese engineer, invented the quick response (QR) code in 1994. Initially developed for the automotive industry, this technology is currently used a huge variety of scenarios—both personally and professionally.
QR codes are a type of barcode that can be scanned using your smartphone or tablet. They’re used in advertisements, marketing materials, and more. The QR code is, however, more powerful than the barcode because it can essentially route the user to a different location on their mobile device or computer, like a web page.
QR codes are often used to promote businesses because they’re easy for customers to scan with their devices which can help you improve customer engagement. It makes it easy for customers to find information about what you do and how they can engage with you.
Technically, there are two types of QR codes: static and dynamic. The static QR code cannot be altered once it’s printed and it can’t track the number of scans, but the active QR code is alterable, can be edited, and allows for monitoring the number of scans.
Why Should You Use QR Codes For Your Business Marketing Needs?
For Brand Awareness
QR codes can be used in marketing campaigns to help you reach customers who might be interested in your products or services. For example, use QR codes in print advertising or in presentations to help your reader grab more information in limited space.
For Easier Marketing
QR codes are easy to create and maintain (especially dynamics QRs). And they’re a great way to reach potential customers even if they don’t have a smartphone with them. For example, you can use the code on your business card or a on an in-store flyer so you can get the main infromation to them in way that they can save for later.
For Contactless Information Transmission
QR codes offer a contactless method of transmitting information to and from the user by simply scanning the QR code with a device, making it easier and safer to conduct business, share information, or make a transaction.
How to Create a QR code
Choose a QR Code Generator
There are numerous free QR code generators available online. All you have to do is search for ”QR code generators” on Google (but be sure to look for static or dynamic per your specific needs). After deciding on a QR code generator, you can create a QR code for your business.
Edit and Customize the QR Code
After deciding between QR codes, you’ll need to enter information about your company and customize it to match your needs. Then you can generate your code.
Download Your QR Code
You’ll need to download your QR code once you’ve generated it. A good QR code generator should allow you to download the code in several formats. It’s wise to download a format at the highest possible resolution, then use a tool or program to resize it for the specific requirements.
There are many free QR code generators are online but most of these only create static codes. While there are few services that appear to offer free dynamic codes, you’ll likely need to upgrade to a paid version so you get all of the editing and tracking functionality that you need.
Tips on Using QR Code for Your Business
Here are a few ways to use QR codes in your business:
- Make sure the code is easy to scan.
- Position it in high-traffic areas (like supermarkets) to increase visibility and engagement with potential customers who may need to be aware of your brand or what you do.
- Make sure the code has an excellent call to action, for example, make a purchase, download an app, subscribe to a newsletter, etc.
- Develop an integrated multi-channel campaign: Use your social media channels to drive people back to your website, where they can download the app or sign up for more information. You can also create a Facebook (social media) Ad campaign that directs users to your branded QR code.
- Develop a mobile-friendly landing page containing your QR code and an opt-in form. You can then use social media ads and retargeting campaigns to drive people back to this page. Remember email marketing! Send out an email blast with the link to your branded QR code so that your subscribers can download it immediately.
- Measure your results: Use analytics to measure the success of your QR campaign. How many people downloaded their codes? How many people scanned them? Which ads were most effective at driving traffic back to your website? Keep track of these metrics so you can improve future campaigns as necessary.
- Use your data to improve future campaigns: Once you’ve gathered enough information, use it to improve your next QR campaign. Did people respond better when they were given a choice between two different branded codes? Did one type of social media ad perform better than another? How many people downloaded the app after seeing your ad on Facebook or Instagram?
Stay on Top of Business Trends
QR codes are a great way to help you get in front of potential customers. It’s simple and easy to create and can be customized to fit your needs. Best of all—they’re cheap and fast to implement.
While we aren’t a marketing firm, it’s important to us that small business know about the technology options that could benefit them. If you have any questions about your business technology or if you’re interested in getting bettter support or security, just reach out to us.