Anyone who conducts online meetings on a regular basis will tell you that success is in the follow up. Set up and facilitation are very important but if clear goals and next steps are not shared, everything that was accomplished in the meeting can fall flat. And there’s more to it than just sending out an email that recaps what was discussed. Here are some helpful tips that can keep your momentum rolling.
1. Don’t debrief on the call
When the virtual room clears it’s easy to stay on the call and chat with the few remaining participants about how the meeting went and what was said. But remember that it’s easy for someone who’s left the meeting to rejoin it. To ensure that people don’t get confused or over here something they’re not meant to, take the conversation offline.
2. Make sure you include everyone in offline decisions
As you have other discussions pertaining to the meeting, make sure that any decisions that could affect the participants are shared. Keep notes of side conversation and make sure the group is updated in follow-up emails or meetings.
3. Send a follow up email to all participants including those who missed the call
This one is really a three-parter. Even though it seems fairly obvious, many people make small mistakes that leave room for confusion.
- Be genuine and specific. In an effort to save time, many facilitators simply use a script or a template that they’ve been using for years. If you have many regular calls, the repetition can make it difficult for your readers to absorb new information. It can be easy for them to assume that the content is just as repetitious as the format itself. Give your follow-up the unique attention it deserves, particularly if there is specific action for people.
- Keep it short and get to the point. Chances are you had time for pleasantries in the meeting so there’s no need for a lengthy opening or quippy additions. Using bullet points can help keep things concise.
- Get the email out within 24 hours of the meeting. We are all very busy and it’s easy to get distracted on to other projects or topics. Help your readers get the information faster by addressing the meeting while it’s top of mind.
There may be some functionality in your online meeting platform that can help you get these tasks done more efficiently. If you have any questions about the solution you use or if you want to explore your options, just contact us at Biz@HDCav.com or 360-930-6990. Were full of user tips since we are conducting online meetings all the time, everyday. Just let us know how we can help.